COFRET Performance Indicator
The COFRET Performance Indicator (CPI) is a modern measure based on the COFRET allocation method. The CPI shows how energy- or CO2-effective the transport1 of goods is organized. The CPI combines many influencing factors into one indicator:
- Good planning of trips, good bundling
- Economical driving
- Driving empty plus all kilometers to carwash, garage etc.
- Traffic jams, detours and weather influences
- How well orders fit together, imbalance in the network
- The influence of requirements imposed on transport (window times, SLAs, slot times, delivery times, etc.)
- Fuels other than diesel.
A CPI is automatically calculated when a tool performs Carbon Footprinting based on the COFRET method (i.e., allocates based on bird’s-eye distance). By storing and analyzing/resourcing these CPIs, a great deal of benefit can be gained.
CPI: easy to predict.
If a carrier knows its average CPIs by type of transportation, for example, for groupage operations, it is easy to calculate2 how many emissions it will cost to complete a job. All that is needed for the calculation is:
- The CPI that fits the job
- The locations ; the origin and the destination for this job
- The quantity for this job, expressed in the measure of the CPI: tons , pallets, m3, etc.
The CPI packs all other influencing factors into 1 number, such as the usual degree of loading, the use of trucks, economical driving, good planning and so on.
The nice thing about the CPI is that it requires so little information to do the calculation: the CPI and the assignment, that’s all. The result is the expected emissions to carry out that assignment.
CPI: easy reporting
The same convenience gives the CPI to a client. If a carrier passes on its CPI to a client, the client can do the calculation itself.
Because, of course, the client also knows:
- The locations ; the origin and the destination for this order
- The quantity for this order, expressed in the measure of the CPI: tons , pallets, m3, etc.
Using the same calculation method, the client can calculate an entire network, without knowing anything about the carrier’s other clients.